FSU Theater Renovation
The 1,751-seat Fitchburg Theater opened on February 7, 1929, as a movie house with live (often Vaudeville) performances and a Wurlitzer Style 190-pipe organ. By the early 70’s, it was an adult movie theater. It was closed in 1975 and re-opened later that year as a live performance venue. In 1980, the theater was renovated into three movie theaters. It closed for good in 1987. Thirty years later, the Fitchburg Theater block was purchased by Fitchburg State University to create a performing arts center. The “block” consists of a two-story commercial building fronting Main Street and the theater itself. The original construction is a mix of steel, load-bearing masonry, and wood framing. The first phase of work was a physical assessment of the entire block and the development of a phased renovation plan. Phase One of the renovation is the FSU Game Studio. Phase Two is the theater renovation. ICON is working with historic theater restoration specialists DLR Group | Westlake Reed Leskosky. You can follow the project’s progress here. At this time, the existing building has been field measured and documented in Revit. The next step is exploratory demolition. The program is underdevelopment and early concepts are being explored.
- Outstanding Renovation Project, Learning by Design