Oak Bluffs Town Hall
The Town Hall is located in an old school building first constructed in 1938, then significantly expanded in the 1960's. After a detailed assessment of the existing building, we determined that the existing heavy timber roof construction, floors, and exterior walls could be retained (approximately 70% of the existing building). The design inserts a new steel and heavy timber structure and an additional floor within the existing building footprint. The main project goals are to create a modern, healthy work environment for the Town staff and Oak Bluff's community, to reduce energy loads and green house gas emissions, and to create a welcoming and well-organized community services center. The Town Hall can be entered from School Street, from which all services can be accessed. It can also be entered from the parking area behind the building. At this lower level, the Town meeting rooms can be accessed, even when the administrative offices are closed. The building is "all electric", requiring no fossil fuels. It is photo-voltaic panel ready, and the windows are all externally shaded. All regularly occupied interior spaces are fully day lighted.