- Hamilton Canal District Master Plan
- Lowell, MA
- Situated amidst Lowell's unique downtown historic canal system, the 15 acre Hamilton Canal District Master Plan envisions a new transit oriented, mixed-use neighborhood engaging Massachusetts' creative economy. Following LEED Neighborhood Development principles, the adaptive use of historic mills will combine with over 1 million SF of new construction to create apartments and condominiums, shops, offices and public parks.
New streets and an extended trolley system will link downtown, the City's commuter rail station, and a planned $100 million couthouse. The multi-phase development, envisioned to be built out over a 10-year timeframe, involved multiple community design charrettes and has been one of the first projects reviewed under Mass "Super MEPA" regulations. ICON wrote the form-based code for the development.
- Client: Trinity Financial
- Size: 350,000 SF Commercial; 50,000 SF Retail; 700-800 Housing Units; 900-car garage
- Completed: Phase 1 begins 2009
- Master Plan follows LEED ND; 30% of buildings will be LEED certified