Orleans Community Building ORLEANS, MA
The Orleans Fire Department was officially organized in 1922. A new fire house was constructed in 1926 on Main Street near the village center. The wood-frame hip-roof building housed a double apparatus bay with a single room at the back. The addition of an ambulance bay and dispatch office was completed in 1947. Subsequent additions/renovations included public restrooms and sleeping quarters. The fire department moved to a new building in 1989. Since then, the building has been used as a community center with a front porch addition and Parish Park replacing the firetruck apron in the 1990’s. The project rehabilitates the building to restore its original character, modernize building systems and thermal performance, and better support a broad spectrum of community functions. The apparatus bay doors are restored with operable glass walls connecting the indoors to Parish Park. A new kitchen provides catering support. The ambulance bay houses the Chamber of Commerce. Expanded public restrooms are provided adjacent to the town parking lot with a covered walk, Theresa’s Way, connecting to Parish Park and Main Street.